Discover the interview of Yozie Wu in Beaverton, USA
How did you become designer ?
The process of becoming a designer could be messy, but here is my humble introspection:
- Cultivate curiosity – ask questions and develop empathy for human needs and desires.
- Research intellectuals and cultural context – ground your practice with principles and metaphors.
- Strategic experimentation – value divergent thinking as much as convergent thinking
- Collaboration – build ideas by talking to one another
- Storytelling – make your ideas contagious and create momentum
How would you define your vision of design, your style ?
For me, design is a tool to stimulate people’s souls and minds. Great design is a multi-layer relationship between human life and its environment. Design needs to be plugged into human behavior. Design dissolves in behavior.
For the future, what are your professional projects ?
Currently, I’m shaping the future of sports platform at Nike.
What do you like the most in your job ?
The ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams to design end-to-end experience and investigate interesting ways to solve consumers’ needs through research, data and intuition.